Mom, I don't want to speak my mother tongue
This 48 minute documentary juxtaposes various POV of loss of mother tongue in an attempt to better understand it.
This documentary focuses on 1st and 2nd generation Canadian immigrants whose children do not speak their mother tongue. Shot completely in Toronto the documentary juxtaposes various opinions on the subject in an attempt to unravel the causes and possible solutions and strategies to prevent the loss. The languages spoken in the documentary are English, Hindi, Punjabi, Mandarin and Cantonese.
The issues included are:
- Peer pressure and other problems faces by children.
- Stubbornness of children.
- Reasons for loss of mother tongue. For e.g. environment, parents do not speak mother tongue with children etc.
- Parents speak different dialects.
- Role of parents and grandparents.
- Role of language schools.
- Realization in later years.
- Need to know mother tongue.
- Desire to learn mother tongue Vs. actually learning it.
- Strategies to make children learn their mother tongue.
- Culture and language.
- Language and religion.
- Happens across many cultures.
- Balance between mother tongue and English.
- Fluency in mother tongue.